Declaration of services to citizens of the Commissaire
Message from the Commissaire
The commitments undertaken in this declaration of services to citizens determine the level and quality of the services they can expect when applying to the Commissaire à la déontologie policière. The entire staff of the Commissaire shares these commitments, therefore we intend to make every effort to ensure that they are honoured.
When receiving and examining the complaints filed against police officers, wildlife protection officers, special constables, highway controllers and UPAC investigators who have allegedly violated the Code of ethics of Québec police officers, the Commissaire performs an independent, impartial and fair civilian oversight of their conduct.
Les valeurs qui soutiennent notre mission
- Protection des droits et libertés
Le Commissaire et tous les membres de son personnel se préoccupent, avant toute chose, de la protection des droits des citoyens et du respect par les policiers, constables spéciaux, contrôleurs routiers, agents de protection de la faune et enquêteurs de l’UPAC de normes élevées de service et de conscience professionnelle.
The main services provided by the Commissaire in accordance with the Police Act (R.S.Q., c. P-13.1) are the following :
- help citizens formulate their complaints;
- determine, following the initial examination, the appropriate complaints processing mode;
- hold conciliation sessions;
- conduct ethics investigations;
- hand down written and reasoned decisions when there is cause to close a file;
- at the complainant's request, review a decision to close a file before an ethics investigation has been completed;
- cite the police officers before the Comité de déontologie policière (ethics tribunal) when there is sufficient evidence that a derogatory act has been committed;
- make the necessary representations before the ethics tribunal and the common law courts;
- send to the ethics tribunal the information and the observations required for examination of the requests for remission submitted to them.
The quality of our services
- Our offices are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon, and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- You can contact us from anywhere in Québec by calling a toll-free number.
- You can leave a message on our voice mail at any time.
- You can contact us at any time on-line, through our web site, and exercise your rights in matters of ethics.
- The conciliations, investigations and hearings of the ethics tribunal are held in all regions of Québec.
- If necessary, our conciliators, investigators and lawyers are available outside working hours.
- The offices of the Commissaire are adapted to the needs of the disabled. We try as much as possible to satisfy their preferences when an appropriate solution must be found regarding their disability.
Reception, assistance and conduct
- You are treated with courtesy and respect in all your communications with the Commissaire and his staff.
- We respond promptly when you request our services, and so try our best to :
- answer your telephone call in under 30 seconds;
- call you back within one working day;
- follow up on your request for information or assistance sent by mail, fax or e-mail, within a period of 3 working days.
- When you visit our offices you are immediately welcomed and we provide the necessary assistance.
- You will be directed, as needed, to the service that is most likely to meet your expectations.
- The information provided verbally or in writing will be clear, accurate and reliable.
Processing of ethical files
- Ethics complaints are handled with diligence, fairness and equity, with due regard for the rules established by law and jurisprudence.
- The statutory deadlines determined for each step of the ethical process are met or extended, pursuant to the authority vested by law or according to our operational policies for :
- following the initial examination, to provide information on the orientation taken for the processing of a complaint : 40 days;
- to hold a conciliation session : 45 days;
- to conduct an investigation : 3 months;
- to dispose of an application for review of a decision to close a file : 10 days.
- You are informed, in accordance with the law, of any significant development that concerns you.
- The decision of the Commissaire to close a file is made in writing and explained in an accessible language.
- You are informed of your rights and the conditions of their exercise if you are dissatisfied with a decision of the Commissaire.
- On-line and paper forms are available to facilitate the exercise of your rights regarding ethical matters. An application for review form is forwarded to the complainant with the decision of the Commissaire to close a file. On-line forms may be completed on our web site.
Protection of information
The Commissaire is responsible for the confidentiality of the information entrusted to him, and protected by law including information on the administration of justice and public safety.
Improving our services
At every step of the ethical process, the Commissaire and his staff are in touch with the needs of citizens so that they may take action, as far as possible, to improve the accessibility, quality, effectiveness and efficiency of their services.
Citizens are therefore invited to submit any questions or comments regarding the delivery of services. In such a case, the citizens will be promptly informed about the necessary follow-up and the applicable deadlines.
Within our organization, the person responsible for the co-ordination of the service improvement policy and for reporting to the Commissaire, is his Secretary General. Do not hesitate to contact him.
Review of our declaration
This declaration is modified as soon as it needs to be updated following a measure ordered by the Commissaire.
However, the declaration is systematically reviewed as part of the annual assessment and planning processes effective in the office of the Commissaire.