File a complaint
The Police Act prescribes that, to be admissible, a complaint must :
- be in writing;
- be filed no later than one year from the date of the event or from awareness of the event;
- be aimed at a police officer of Québec, notably a police officer in the performance of his or her duties in another province or a territory of Canada, wildlife protection officer, special constable, highway controller or UPAC investigator in the performance of their duties and in their relations with the public;
- involve a police officer from another province of a territory of Canada in the performance of his or her duties in Québec by virtue of an authorization issued under the Police Act;
- concern a breach of the Code of ethics of Québec police officers.
Formulate the complaint on-line
- Access the on-line complaint form
You can fill out the form directly on the site and forward it to the Commissaire à la déontologie policière. This is as safe as sending it by mail.
Use the paper form
- Download the complaint form (PDF, 44 kb) pour l'imprimer et le remplir. Vous devez utiliser le logiciel gratuit Acrobat Reader.
Moreover, a complaint may be filed in person, at either one of the Québec and Montreal offices of the Commissaire or through any police station, highway control offices or service points of the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ).
Finally, if the complaint involves the conduct of a Québec police officer in the performance of his or her duties in another province or a territory of Canada, the complaint may be filed in this other province or territory.
Moreover, if the complaint is filed in a police station, the person at the reception desk must :
- receive copies of the elements of proof and ensure their preservation;
- give citizens a copy of their complaints and a list of the documents and evidence they had in hand;
- send a copy of the complaint and of the collected evidence to the director of the concerned police force or to the employer, within 5 days;
- submit the original complaint and the related elements of proof to the Commissaire, within the same period.
In cases where the complaint is filed in a wildlife protection service, highway control office or in a service point of the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ), it is immediately forwarded to the Commissaire, along with the related evidence.
Support and assistance
Do not hesitate to contact the personnel of the Commissaire, they can help you formulate the complaint.